Use up those Sunday roast chicken leftovers with this tasty toasted sandwich recipe.
You know the score, you open up the fridge Monday lunchtime and looking you right in the eye is the leftover chicken from Sunday lunch. It is practically ordering you to use it up and avoid food waste.
Now, you could opt for my sweet chili chicken toastie recipe but if you don’t want the spice and instead want a good does of healthy iron to set you up for the week then go for this easy Roast Chicken and Spinach Toasted Sandwich Recipe.
In this recipe you will find
- Benefits of Spinach
- Video guide
- Alternative Directions
- Enjoy this sandwich with
- Recipe Card
Benefits of spinach
Before we get to the recipe I want to let you know that spinach isn’t just for Popeye.
Spinach is for everyone. For starters it brings a lovely peppery falvor to your food but then it is absolutely packed with goodness.
Spinach is a great source of
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B2
I think you will agree, that is quite a list and I take every opportunity I can to throw in some spinach to a toastie and it goes especially well in a breakfast toastie.
But right now it is going to help turn some dull chicken leftovers into a shining star of a toasted sandwich.
Video guide of how to make a Roast Chicken and Spinach Toasted Sandwich.
Here are the ingredients you need for this Roast chicken and spinach toasted sandwich. This is for one sandwich, just double for two.
- Two slices of thick cut bread
- 30 grams of roast chicken
- 20 grams of fresh spinach
- 30 grams of cheddar cheese
- BBQ sauce
You could also use Gouda or Red Leicester cheese in this toasted sandwich
Follow these direction to make this tasty toasted sandwich and use up those roast chicken leftovers.
- Place the bread under the grill and toast on one side
- Flip the bread and add the cheese
- Toast the bread and cheese until the cheese is bubbling and slightly colored
- Lay out the bread and add the chicken and then spinach
- Add the BBQ sauce and mayonnaise
- Add the top layer of bread and press down gently
- Slice on the diagonal and enjoy
One alternative way to make this roast chicken and spinach toasted sandwich would be to cook it in the oven. Simply construct the sandwich with the cheese, chicken and spinach. Leave out the mayonnaise and BBQ.
Pop it into the oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees and you will have a lovely oven baked sandwich. Then add the mayonnaise and BBQ sauce on top and enjoy.
Another alternative way to make this toasted sandwich is to put it together as above and then fry it in butter in a frying pan until golden and crispy.
Enjoy this sandwich with
Enjoy this roasted chicken and spinach toasted sandwich with a side order of crisps and tall glass of lemonade.
Recipe card for a roast chicken and spinach toasted sandwich
Roast Chicken and Spinach Toasted Sandwich
- 2 slices thick cut bread white or brown
- 30 grams roast chicken
- 20 grams spinach
- 30 grams cheddar cheese Gouda or Red Leicester are also good choices
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp bbq sauce
- place the bread under the grill and toast one side
- flip the bread and add the cheese, cook until bubbling and beginning to color
- take out the toast and add the chicken to one slice
- add the spinach and then the mayonnaise and BBQ sauce
- add the top slice of toast and press down gently
- slice and enjoy
Join the toastie club
If you like this recipe and want more then be sure to join the toastie club today.
Some others recipes you might like
Here are some other recipes you might like to try