Occasionally, it is great to just let go and try things. They may not work, but then again they may be great….just like this toasted sandwich.
The story behind the sandwich
We seem to be generating leftovers at a phenomenal rate at the moment.
Possibly, as a result of trying to cut back on what we eat as part of a New Year’s plan or maybe simplybecause we are cooking too much.
Either way I often open the fridge to find tubs of different meals staring back and this gets my imagination firing to see what I can create.
In this instance it was a large tub of leftover meat-free bolognese. I’m not sure if I should call it meat-free or plant-based bolognese as it was made with a mince meat substitute from the Meatless Farm Company.
The bolognese was very tasty and I knew would make a great sandwich filling. But what to pair it with?
I didn’t want to get too fussy here so just decided to go with my default option of a strong cheddar cheese.
The key to this sandwich
Meatless Bolognese and Cheese Toastie
- 4 tbsp Left over meet free bolognese we made ours with meatless mince from the Meat Free Farm Company.
- 2 Slices White Bread
- 3 Slices Of your favorite cheese
- Toast the bread to your personal preference
- Heat the left over meat free bolognese in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until it is piping hot
- Cut three generous slices of cheese
- Layout the toast and spoon a small portion of the meat free bolognese on one slice
- Lay the cheese on top of the meat free bolognese
- Spoon the remaining meat free bolognese on top of the cheese
- Top the sandwich with the remaining toast and gently push down
- Slice into two triangles and enjoy
Overall, this was a delicious toasted sandwich. The meat free bolognese adds a great flavor sensation but by heating it up first and putting on either side of the cheese layer it turns the cheese into a glorious semi-melted state.
As you bite through the sandwich you get a great flavor taste with a comforting blast of melting cheese.
We can safely say this experiment was a success.